After few successful b’day and Christmas cakes, I have somehow perfected my recipe of the fruit and nut cake. So, this Christmas, I had decided on baking a carrot cake, which I had fallen in love with ever since we started ordering evening cakes from Chaayos, a tea and cake vendor in Delhi.
I searched for a proper recipe online. Finally I found one someone shared in facebook. I modified the recipe as per the availability of the ingredients here in Delhi and came out well. In fact, I had a bunch of testers in my house that day to review and approve. So, here is the recipe for that.
2 cup plain flour
1.5 cup caster sugar (can be less as per your taste)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cup grated carrots (3-4 carrots)
Powdered spices – 1 clove + 1 cardamom pod + small piece of cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
Few drops of vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350F / 180ºC.
- Combine the flour and baking powder, spices, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until fluffy. Next, add vegetable oil and beat.
- Add the grated carrots to the mixture and mix well.
- Add vanilla extract to the above mixture.
- Now, add a spoon of flour mixture and fold. Once it is used up, add the remaining flour mixture spoon by spoon so that no lumps are formed.
- To a tray greased with butter and flour sprinkled over, pour the batter and bake for 45-50 minutes until the top turns brownish. Insert a skewer into the cake; if it comes out clean, your cake is done.